The Port Royal Police department is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
The Town of Port Royal Police Department is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Police Officer. Candidate must be able to perform all duties necessary for the protection of life and property within the Town of Port Royal as well as the enforcement of state laws and local ordinances.
The following duties are expected of our Police Officers:
- Apprehension and arrest criminal suspects and law violators
- Patrol assigned areas and responds to calls for service to enforce all public safety and welfare related law enforcement work as required
- Preparation of reports and other documentation
- Prepare cases for court and provide court testimony as necessary
- Service of warrants
Experienced applicants are preferred however if you are seeking to begin a law-enforcement career you must meet the following requirements:
- Candidate must be able to pass the following:
- Hiring board
- Physical agility course
- Polygraph exam
- Psychological exam
- Clean driving record with minimal speeding convictions, no Driving Under the Influence (DUI) or Driving Under Suspension (DUS) conviction in last ten years, or leaving the scene of an accident conviction.
- If currently employed as a certified officer, candidate must be in good standing with their current agency with no current disciplinary problems within the last six months.
- Must be 21 years of age at start of application process.
- Must be a United States Citizen.
- Must complete the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy training within 1 year of hire date.
- Must have a clean criminal record (no felonies, serious misdemeanors, Criminal Domestic Violence, or crimes of moral turpitude)
- Must have High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED)
- Must have Honorable Discharge, if served in the military
- Must have personal vehicle registered at the date of hire
- Must have a South Carolina Driver’s License at date of hire
View benefits available for employees:
- All uniforms and equipment provided
- Competitive Salary
- Dental and Vision insurance offered
- Individual paid health insurance
- South Carolina Police Officers Retirement Plan
- Take home patrol car program